Amanda-Users

Re: moved to new disk, now amanda wants to do level 0's on whole system

2003-11-14 09:23:49
Subject: Re: moved to new disk, now amanda wants to do level 0's on whole system
From: Jay Fenlason <fenlason AT redhat DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:20:23 -0500
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:23:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> See subject, Which of course is leading to a 90% failure rate as the
> whole system has around 40Gb, but the tapes are only 4Gb's.
>
> What happened is that I put in a new 120 Gb drive, 2x the size of the
> one I took out, mainly because the root partition was full, and no
> room to readjust things was available.
>
> Although the /dev/whatevers have changed, the mountpoints have not.  I
> used cp to copy some of the data, and fr to do some, seems cp cannot
> see a .file!
>
> I missed one run while the disk was being configured.  One person said
> he had never swapped disks without doing a re-install, but I just
> did, and everything seems to be working just fine.  Its tedious for
> sure, but it can be done.
>
> I have expanded the dumpcycle and runspercycle from 8 to 10 because it
> seemed amanda was having a hard time hitting its best balance point.
> tapecycle is still 28, but I can add more.
>
> So the disklist is unchanged.  Why does amanda want to do a level 0 on
> the whole system?

When you copied the files, the inode numbers for each file changed.
When gtar sees the inode number of a file change, it assumes the
contents of the file have changed too (it doesn't store md5sums of
file data or anything clever like that).  Amanda sees that an
incremental is the same size as a level 0, so it tries to do a level
0.

Also, cp/fr may not have correctly reset the modification times of the
files when it copied them.  Oh, and they may not handle links well
either.  To copy directory trees, I usually use "( cd /fromdir ; tar
cf - . ) | ( cd /todir ; tar xpf -)", which preserves modification
times, and permissions.

Hmm.  How clever do you feel like being?  If you can somehow get a
list of the files which have actually changed, you could edit the last
listed-incremental data file and update the inode numbers of all the
files you don't want to re-dump.  It'd probably be an amusing perl
script. . .

                        -- JF