Amanda-Users

Re: moved to new disk, now amanda wants to do level 0's on whole system

2003-11-14 06:37:46
Subject: Re: moved to new disk, now amanda wants to do level 0's on whole system
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:36:28 -0500
On Friday 14 November 2003 04:37, Sven Rudolph wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> writes:
>> What happened is that I put in a new 120 Gb drive, 2x the size of
>> the one I took out, mainly because the root partition was full,
>> and no room to readjust things was available.
>>
>> So the disklist is unchanged.  Why does amanda want to do a level
>> 0 on the whole system?
>
>Amanda does not want anything, it is the tar (or dump) below.
>
>GNU tar uses (among other things) the inode numbers in order to find
>out whether a file has changed. So all files are detected as
> changed.
>
>       Sven

I see.  And its an hour past due to be done, and I have a report from
the wrapper script indicating that it has run to completion, but no
report from amanda herself.  Odd indeed.  There are still 4 files
sitting in /dump, so I'd assume I need to run amflush.  After I fix a
couple of typo's in some additions I made to the disklist last night
after amanda was up and running.  I'd said leo for the interface, not
le0.

Running amcheck to see that the right tape is loaded, somehow its
image of the slot number got munged and it reported this:
-----------------------------
[amanda@coyote amanda]$ amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 15096592 KB disk space available, using 14072592
KB
amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20031114 label DailySet1-25 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20031114 label DailySet1-25 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20030815 label DailySet1-26 (exact label
match)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DailySet1-26 label ok
etc, etc
------------------------------

A run of amreport /config/ by the user amanda returns empty!  And also
does as root, not even a blank line.  Things are getting curiouser
and curiouser...  Ahh, that log file is a new one started by amflush.

The log.20031114.0 ends with this, and is about 4 kilobytes shorter
than a normal log:
-----------------------------------
INFO taper tape DailySet1-25 kb 3957824 fm 13 writing file: No space
left on device
FAIL taper coyote /usr/bin 20031114 0 [out of tape]
ERROR taper no-tape [[writing file: No space left on device]]
WARNING driver going into degraded mode because of tape error.
FINISH driver date 20031114 time 11716.522
-----------------------------------

So it appears I should rerun my indices saver script and let it append
that to this next tape since there was not room for it in the normal
run.  Humm, I got a report from amflush at 6:06 saying there was
nothing to flush, and another at 6:13 indicating it had cleaned up in
/dumps, writing about 283 megs.  I only ran it once!

A du of /dumps shows that it overshot the tapesize by 290,272 blocks.
This will be a week+ getting straightened out. :(

I'm gonna tell it to use 2 tapes (whats left in the magazine) for
tonights run.  But I don't think my indices saver script can handle
that.  We'll see what I might have to do it it to handle that
situation I guess ):

But, I really, really think I've got snilmerg.  Sigh....

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: