Amanda-Users

Question about gzip on the server

2003-11-13 01:43:43
Subject: Question about gzip on the server
From: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:38:38 -0800
OK, so all my clients are compressing.  I have 13 clients and about 5 of
them are Solaris using dump, the rest are using tar.  Could someone explain
why the dumpers are also spawning a 'gzip --best' process?  They only use 5
or 6 seconds of CPU so they are not doing much but I don't see why they
start.

Another question is the status 'no-bandwidth'.  I have been assuming this is
network bandwidth.  I am running 89 DLEs, 13 clients, 6 dumpers (also tried
4 and 13) and amstatus reports network free as high as 10200 and as low as
1200.  With 4 dumpers, all dumpers ran without a break.  With 13 dumpers, by
the middle of the run 11 were idle for no bandwidth.  I raised my netusage
from 1200 to 4200 and tonight with 6 dumpers, by the last third of the run,
one dumper idled with no bandwidth yet network usage was 10200.  I'm not
sure I'm reading this right.  10200 free would suggest that something like
1200 is being used and I thought that bandwidth limiting wouldn't happen
until the next dumper to start would push network usage ABOVE 4200.  I also
assume that a usage of 4200 would show up as something like network free of
about 7000 yet I have a network free of 10200.  What am I missing here?

Dana Bourgeois