Amanda-Users

Problems with finding tapes loaded

2003-11-05 14:15:10
Subject: Problems with finding tapes loaded
From: Adam Ardis <aardis1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:12:03 -0800 (PST)
I've got amanda running on solaris 8 on a Sun E220R,
and the backups have worked on and off for months(I
didn't configure this originally).  The problem I'm
having is that we've got 4 standalone drives attached
to the server, scsi DAT drives, and the tapes are
loaded but amtape cannot find the tapes in the drives.
 All 4 tape drives show up(/dev/rmt/0ubn, 1ubn, 2ubn,
3ubn) in the search, they are in my amanda.conf.  Also
during previous backups,  it would only use one tape
and fail on the dump, even though it should look for
the 4 tapes that are loaded.

I must be having some sort of configuration problem.
Anyone have an idea, or if I need to give more
information?  Here's a sample of a failed dump.  The
partition in question here is 10GB, am I not
erasing/cleaning the tapes correctly, and why isn't it
finding the other 3 tapes in the other drives?

These dumps were to tape ST020.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[label ST003 or new tape
not found in rack]]. Some dumps may have been left in
the holding disk. Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next 4 tapes Amanda expects to used are: ST003,
ST000, ST001, ST002.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  twdbs001   /home lev 1 FAILED [out of tape]

Thanks in advance,
Adam