Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with finding tapes loaded

2003-11-06 00:47:45
Subject: Re: Problems with finding tapes loaded
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:43:44 -0500
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:45:28PM -0800, Adam Ardis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:12:03AM -0800, Adam Ardis
> wrote:
> > I've got amanda running on solaris 8 on a Sun E220R,
> > and the backups have worked on and off for months(I
> > didn't configure this originally). The problem I'm
> > having is that we've got 4 standalone drives
> attached
> > to the server, scsi DAT drives, and the tapes are
> > loaded but amtape cannot find the tapes in the
> drives.
>
> Are you using chg-multi as your changer script?
> If so, how is it configured?
> If not, what changer script are you using?
> ---
>
> I am using chg-multi as the changer script.  Anything
> else I can show that will help, please let me know.
>
> twdbs001:/export/home/amanda/staging$ amtape staging
> show
> amtape: scanning all 4 slots in tape-changer rack:
> slot 2: chg-multi: slot is empty
> slot 3: chg-multi: slot is empty
> slot 4: chg-multi: slot is empty
> slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty
>
> twdbs001:/export/home/amanda/staging$ more changerfile
> multieject 0
> gravity 0
> needeject 0
> ejectdelay 0
> statefile /usr/adm/amanda/csd/changer-status
> firstslot 1
> lastslot 4
> slot 1 /dev/rmt/0ubn
> slot 2 /dev/rmt/1ubn
> slot 3 /dev/rmt/2ubn
> slot 4 /dev/rmt/3ubn
>
> twdbs001:/export/home/amanda/staging$ more
> /usr/adm/amanda/csd/changer-status
> # multi-changer state cache: DO NOT EDIT!
> curslot 1
> curloaded 0

I don't see any problems.
But I've been called blind :)

I notice according to the status there is no slot loaded.
Does something like amtape <config> slot first change
the status?  And if it does, does amtape ... current
show which tape is in the slot?

Are the tapes labeled?

Can you use the mt command to get status, eject tapes,
rewind, ... using the individual device names?

Can you see any error messages in the debug files
in /tmp/amanda (possibly a changer file and an amtape file)?

Two things that would not affect this problem, I just note
them.  The non-"b" devices are generally recommended.  Are
you intentionally using hardware compression?  If so, fine,
just wanted to be sure.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)