Amanda-Users

Re: Strange Error - Again :///

2003-11-03 21:24:32
Subject: Re: Strange Error - Again :///
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Roberto Samarone Araújo (RSA) <rsa AT gr.iesam-pa.edu DOT br>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:23:28 -0500
On Monday 03 November 2003 17:54, Roberto Samarone Araújo (RSA) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>      I have an Amanda Backup that was working fine now, when I try
> to use: su -c "/usr/sbin/amlabel Daily1 DAILY1-01" backup, the
> system return me:
>
>           st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key
> Medium Error
>           Additional sense indicates Write error
>           mt: /dev/tape: Input/Output error
>
>       If I try: mt erase /dev/st0, it return me:
>
>            st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key
> Medium Error
>            Additional sense indicates Write error
>            mt: /dev/tape: Input/Output error
>
>        I change my SDT-9000 tape to a new one and the problem
> persist.
>
>        I saw on the logs the messages:
>
>            st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes
>            st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00 sense key
> Medium Error
>            Additional sense indicates Write error
>

>        I put this device and controller in a  Windows2000 machine
> and it worked fine.  When I used it on Windows, it asked me to
> format the media so, I think I need to format the media on Linux
> too but, how to do it ?

I'm not gonna say that its not ever done, but too many winderz things
have their own data format, and if you actually formatted the tape
under windows, there is a possibility that the tape will never work
again except with that windows program.

Start with a factory fresh tape, if the error persists, then its
either a bad drive, or a bad driver.

BTW, /dev/st0 is the wrong device, it rewinds on close, and thats a
no-no for amanda.  Use /dev/nst0.  Maybe thats even the problem.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: