Amanda-Users

Re: Verify Tape Integrity

2003-11-01 04:33:47
Subject: Re: Verify Tape Integrity
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Rick Duvall" <rduvall AT onlinehighways DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 04:28:45 -0500
On Saturday 01 November 2003 03:33, Rick Duvall wrote:
>So, if the first 2 feet are damaged, then can't I take the cartridge
> apart and cut the first 2 feet off of the reel and re-assemble the
> cartridge?

No, because the tapes own hidden headers that tell the drive what it
is, and if the data is compressed etc, are on that first piece, take
it off, or bulk erase the tape, and unless your drive is capable of
actually reformatting the tape (few are I'd guess, in my dat/DDS
usages here, I've never found a drive that could do that) then the
tape is week old toast and can be thrown out.

>Where these tapes are hanging up is about the 6th filesystem tarred
> and written to tape.  The amverify is failing on the 6th fileno.

Humm, that almost doesn't walk like that duck.  How about the next
tape, whats it do?  When amverify fails, do an mt -f /dev/nst0 tell
and write it down.  Rewind and rerun until it fails again.  If both
tells are the same, then something is wrong with that tape.  If they
aren't by several block numbers, then there may be some other effect
at work.  What, I haven't the foggiest without more clues.