Amanda-Users

Re: Tapeless: how to make a SECOND backup

2003-11-01 00:52:48
Subject: Re: Tapeless: how to make a SECOND backup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:49:55 -0500
On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:51:49AM +0200, turgut kalfaoglu wrote:
> Thank you Dana!
> Did you have to set up your data directories in a special way? for
> example, I now have:
>
> /data/server1
>
> for the backups of server1, and I had to manually create the 'data'
> subdirectory under this.
> However, I am not sure on how to define a SECOND tape on this disk. Is
> it just amlabel that creates the necessary subdirs for the second,third,
> etc, "tapes"?  I assume each incremental backup needs to go into its
> separate subdir?

I used chg-multi for multipe "file-tapes".

Think of it this way, /data is your "library" of tape drives.
chg-multi is intended for using a group of single slot tapedrives.

Then create subdirectories to represent the several drives under
/data.  They can have generic names, drive1 or slot1, or I named
them according to what I was going to amlabel the tape in that
"drive".  Each subdirectory gets listed as a "slot" in chg-multi.
Each subdirectory also needs a "data" directory.

Finally, use amtape and amlabel to load "the tape" in each slot
and label it as you want.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)