Amanda-Users

Re: tape problem

2003-10-27 01:50:16
Subject: Re: tape problem
From: "C.Scheeder" <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Your Name <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:42:39 +0100
Hi,
it is easy for you to verify if your tapelabels are valid,
do the following commands:

mt rewind
dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1

this will give you the first block of the tape.
if the first characters there in are something like

"AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE"

then your labels are ok. if not you'll have to relabel them.
How?
very easy:

amlabel -f normal normal05

the -f option forces amanda to ignore its tape-database and the contents
on tape an write the label anyway.
Christoph

Your Name schrieb:
Hi Paul
You were right in pointing out that I have used a different amanda.conf file. However the changes in this file and that file are minimal (like nst0 instead of st0). You might be right when you say "by using a rewinding device, I might have overwirtten the name ", I am not sure how to answer this. I tried to rename the tape by "amlabel normal normal05" which should be the tape it should be expecting. When I do this it says the label is already present in the drive. How can do a manual dump for time being immediately?. IS there any way I can force amanda to do backup on the tape irrespective of its label?.

I appreciate your help.
Regards
Yogish

Yogish wrote:

Hi all

I am facing problems with the tapes. Everytime I try to run amcheck,amverify or amdump it says its expecting a new tape. Here

are
the results it puts out when I run amcheck

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/amanda: 29635568 KB disk space available,

that's plenty

ERROR: /dev/nst0: reading label: Input/output error
      (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Server check took 0.016 seconds

I strongly believe that the amanda.conf you send is not the one
that is used!  Or you changed it very recently.

From your amanda.conf:

> tapedev "/dev/st0"

This is wrong: it is the rewinding device, and if I remember

correctly

I pointed out this and other errors in your amanda.conf a few weeks

ago: