Amanda-Users

Re: tape problem

2003-10-27 07:39:11
Subject: Re: tape problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Yogish" <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>, "C.Scheeder" <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:35:49 -0500
On Monday 27 October 2003 02:02, Yogish wrote:
>Hi Paul and Scheeder
>
>Here is the error it is giving me when I try to run amdump. It is
> not specific to friday but it happens everyday, So I am not sure
> what to do. I have attached the lastest amanda.conf and disklist
> files. *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [reading label: Input/output
> error]. Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
>Run amflush to flush them to tape.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  brokerserv sda6 lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
>  brokerserv sda3 lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
>Please tell how I can force amanda to do a dump  on the existing
> tape irrespective of the tape number or label.
>Regards
>Yogish

You first have to get rid of the i/o error above, Yogish.  This is the
reason it cannot access the tape, and must be fixed before anything
else is going to work.

To give an example, I had an amanda error last night, an i/o error, so
it left the backup in the holding disk.  I have my tapes all setup
for a blocksize of 32k, but apparently that didn't take when I did a
5 minute boot to 2.6.0-test9 to see what may, or may not be working.
Amcheck couldn't access the drive at all, oss-install wouldn't, and
nvidia's drivers wouldn't, so I had no X and rebooted back to
2.4.23-pre8.  So to restore tape access, I had to redo just now, by
hand, the pair of mt commands that set the working blocksize, and
amflush is running ok as I type this.  I have those commands in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local also, so I'm puzzled as to why that wasn't
self-repairing on the reboot.

So what blocksize are you using?  The default for most drives is 512
bytes, which is also the default size for the mt driver.  You will
have an i/o error if they do not match.

That of course is just one possible scenario that can cause an i/o
error.

[snip, with comment]

Let me reinforce the requirement that all operations on the drive
performed by amanda must be done using the non-rewinding device, I
believe /dev/nst0 in your case.  Amanda will rewind the tape when
amanda wants it rewound, and expects that.  To have it done
automaticly by closing the device, as when using /dev/st0, will
thoroughly fubar amandas carefull tape handling.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: