Amanda-Users

Re: problem labelling tapes

2003-10-24 04:03:52
Subject: Re: problem labelling tapes
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:59:52 +0100 (BST)
Hi Tom,

The story goes as follows:

The tape drive was in a machine, and working fine for about 6
months. Recently (about 3 weeks ago now), backups started
failing with an "out of tape" error if they were over about 14.4
GB. A bit of trawling led me to the conclusion that HW
compression was still turned on (I though it was off, but that
was my mistake). As the machine was a production machine, I
scheduled some downtime late one night and removed the tape
drive from it. I then built another machine using the same
software versions with the tape drive in it, so that i could
experiment and try to turn off the hardware compression.

So, to answer your questions:

* same drive
* different SCSI controller
* different SCSI cables
* I'm pretty sure SCSI termination is fine. I have tried two
different SCSI cables (both with terminator on the end, and one
of them was out of the box it was working in)
* I have run a cleaning tape on it about 5 times in a row.
* drive has definitely worked, but once I put it in machine with
new cabling/controller started having these problems.
* have tried two seperate SCSI controllers (AHA-2940 &
AHA-2940UW)

At the end of the day (which is now ;) I'm still having a
problem labelling tapes, which appeared once I removed the drive
from the original machine. I removed the drive to try and sort
out the compression issue, but now can't even label tapes  :(

regards,
Tony.