Amanda-Users

Re: problem labelling tapes

2003-10-23 05:55:12
Subject: Re: problem labelling tapes
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:48:38 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,

I am still having trouble trying to label tapes and Amanda
recognising them.

I label a tape:

bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amlabel daily daily01fri
rewinding, reading labelamlabel: strange amanda header: "AMANDA:
T"
, not an amanda tape
rewinding, writing label daily01fri, checking label, done.

I then check the tape:

bash-2.05a$ dd bs=32k if=/dev/st0
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily01fri

1+0 records in
1+0 records out

So I then run amcheck:

bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amcheck daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /tmp: 521540 KB disk space available, that's plenty
amcheck-server: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: T"
ERROR: /dev/nst0: not an amanda tape
       (expecting tape daily01tue or a new tape)

If I continually run amcheck, about maybe 5% of the time I will
get the response "Tape daily01fri label ok", to indicate that it
was actually able to read the label on the tape. This is VERY
strange !

I have downloaded and installed 2.4.4p1 and it is a RH7.3
machine.

As an aside, I did manage to work out the stinit stuff and the
drive is no longer using hardware compression. I did another
tapetype and got the following:

define tapetype dds4 {
  comment "produced by tapetype prog (HW compresssion off)"
  length 19503 mbytes
  filemark 0 kbytes
  speed 2693 kps
}

which is a lot more like what it should be.

Any suggestions on why it is not recognising the label ?

Thanks,
Tony.