Amanda-Users

Re: problem labelling tapes

2003-10-16 04:17:27
Subject: Re: problem labelling tapes
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:11:44 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying (over a week), I got pulled to
another site for a week.

I'm going to combine the results of a few peoples suggestions
into this same email. Thanks for the help thus far.

Things I have done:

1. Created an /etc/stinit.def file so that the block size is set
to "0" and compression is (theoretically) disabled.

2. Run a cleaning tape through the system a good number of
times.

3. Tried different tapes, all with the same response. I haven't
tried a brand new tape, as I don't have one at the moment. I
have tried three seperate tapes that were all working
previously.

4. I used a different tapetype utility (thanks JC) that reported
the size of the tapedrive at 35508 MB, which is about what I
would expect but it also tells me that hardware compression was
on, else it should not have made it past 20GB (note this was
BEFORE I implemented step 1, I will run it again to see what
happens, but it takes > 24 hours to complete !)

5. Output from the command "dd ibs=32k if=/dev/st0" gives:

===============
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily01thu

1+0 records in
64+0 records out
===============

so it would appear that it is actually labelling the tape
properly, just not being able to read them.

The end result is that I am still getting the following error,
when I run amcheck:

amcheck-server: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: T"
 ERROR: /dev/nst0: not an amanda tape
     (expecting tape daily01tue or a new tape)

any more suggestions ?

Thanks,
Tony.