Amanda-Users

RE: problem labelling tapes

2003-10-26 03:22:52
Subject: RE: problem labelling tapes
From: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:16:24 -0700
You have tried labeling a new tape, yes?  This wouldn't be just several bad
tapes?

It is curious that you get the 95% failure figure on labeling but the
failures *always* return the same size string in the error message.  No
kernel messages about device problems?  You've verified that a large dd
to/from the tape drive doesn't have the same problem?  (by large I mean 10
Meg at least so you rev the drive up to full speed for a few seconds.)

This sort of puzzling behavior makes me think hardware and firmware, not
Amanda.  Maybe your drive needs an overhaul?

Dana Bourgeois