Amanda-Users

Re: DAMN! AN AMRECOVER DELETED ALL MY /ROOT CONTENTS!!!

2003-09-23 07:19:49
Subject: Re: DAMN! AN AMRECOVER DELETED ALL MY /ROOT CONTENTS!!!
From: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao-amanda AT engepel.com DOT br>
To: "Jay Lessert" <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:13:07 -0300
Hi Jay, thank you for the explanantion and ideas. I´ll make some comments
and propose more ideas bellow:

> It *might* be useful to modify amrecover and it's man page to be
> a little more complete and self-consistent:
might be?  how can we guess that amanda will delete some stuff in our hd
before a restore if it´s not documented in anywhere? I repeat, this is *not
documented*. Of course it´s an important point that is missing. Certainly,
it *will* be very usefull to modify the man page, actually, it´s necessary,
right?

> 1)  amrecover never calls *dump with the r flag, and always calls
>     GNU tar with the -G flag.
>
>     It might be useful if this was at least documented in the man page,
>     so that one knows when one must use amrestore instead of
>     amrecover.
>
> 2)  It would certainly be possible to add user flags to amrecover to
>     control "dump r" and "tar -G"; I don't have any suggestions on how
>     to do this in a way that is coherent and understandable, though.
>     :-)

3) It would be very adequate if amrecover, before restoring any backup,
checked the destination directory to know if its populated, if it is, send a
warning like "All contents in the directory $dest_directory will be deleted.
Do you want to continue?(Y/n)". This the expected behaviour for every
software that makes a delete operation.

How can I send this discussion to amanda developers? I think this is very
relevant and I wanted them to know about it. (are you a developer? :)

Thank you,
Bruno Negrao.