Amanda-Users

Re: DAMN! AN AMRECOVER DELETED ALL MY /ROOT CONTENTS!!!

2003-09-22 16:42:51
Subject: Re: DAMN! AN AMRECOVER DELETED ALL MY /ROOT CONTENTS!!!
From: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao-amanda AT engepel.com DOT br>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, "amanda users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:38:18 -0300

> You asked it to restore the directory "."; tar just does as you
> instructed (btw, it's tar, not amanda!).
> If you asked it to restore the files/dirs "*", then it would just
> overwrite the files (and directories).
Paul, just to be precise, when I selected the files to be backed up, I
issued an "add *" command. Since the * symbol doesn´t select any file
beginning with an ".", I didn´t selected the "." directory! And if the "*"
of amrecover includes files begining with a dot, it shouldn´t because it
isn´t the standard!

Also, was amanda that called tar this way, so I think it´s amanda´s fault.
See, i couldn´t specify in any place what would be the tar options I wanted.

I haven´t backed up this machine and i lost some valuable scripts - damn it!

If amanda is a backup tool it shouldn´t act as a "destruction" tool any
time! I think what happened to me can happen with anyone and this is a big
risk, don´t you think?

I sincerely think that amanda´s  developers must find a way completely avoid
this risk.

It´s so disappointing, when i was testing the backup tool, the backup tool
itself created the necessity of a backup to protect my machine from it...

bruno.