Amanda-Users

Re: Unusual dump times?

2003-09-17 12:30:33
Subject: Re: Unusual dump times?
From: "Hinrich Aue" <H_Aue AT gmx DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:25:38 +0200 (MEST)
I have a similar situation.
The first run in the cycle took quite some time. About 8 hours.
But that's hardware related too, I use a HP 9000 735/99 as backup server.
A HP-Dat streamer with 2 GB is the backup device. Only 3 tapes were
used......
The main problem is, some machines are really slow, but the streamer too.
Client or server compression would make no difference. And the server is
client too, with a big amount of data to backup.
Tape drive does 150 kb/sec maximum. Is that normal speed for that device?

But after all amanda seems to balance really good, and after 4 runs I only
need one
tape every run. Backup time is ok. few hours.

Question: Why doesn't amanda use all of the space on the tape? The first run
it
used max 1.6GB of the tape, but some dumps had space enough on it!
2 tapes could have been enough.

Though I have to say amanda runs reliable and smart after all!
Good work!

Hinrich.

Getestet von Stiftung Warentest: GMX FreeMail (GUT), GMX ProMail (GUT)
(Heft 9/03 - 23 e-mail-Tarife: 6 gut, 12 befriedigend, 5 ausreichend)

Jetzt selbst kostenlos testen: http://www.gmx.net