Amanda-Users

Re: Unusual dump times?

2003-09-16 17:01:47
Subject: Re: Unusual dump times?
From: Jack Baty <jbaty AT fusionary DOT com>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:06:47 -0400
Eric Siegerman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:35:55AM -0400, Jack Baty wrote:
> > I plan to gradually include more machines
> > totalling about 20GB. If all the hosts take as long as marvin (below),
> > things could end up taking more than 12 hours to run.

> So if you're using a standard configuration, where you let Amanda
> schedule full and incremental backups, I'd add in the rest of
> your DLEs and let Amanda run for a dumpcycle or two before
> worrying too much about it.  Just add them in a few at a time, or
> you *will* face some very long dump times at first, since the
> first dump Amanda does of any given DLE has to be a level-0.

Thanks for sharing. I'll start adding my DLEs a few at a time and see how
things go.

> > Wondering if I
> > should just stop using compression.
>
> Again, that would depend on just what the bottleneck is.  If it's
> CPU usage on the client, try reducing from --best to --fast as
> someone else suggested, or try changing to server-side
> compression.  If it's network bandwidth, go the other way:  move
> compression from server to client, and/or increase the
> compression level until you start maxing out the client CPU.

I believe that right now it's a CPU issue with that machine, so I've made
sure I'm running compress-fast on the dumptypes. May try not using
compression and see what kind of times I get.

Thanks again.

--
Jack Baty
Fusionary Media - http://www.fusionary.com/