Amanda-Users

Multiple sets/cycles, same filesystems

2003-09-05 02:12:06
Subject: Multiple sets/cycles, same filesystems
From: Phil Homewood <pdh AT snapgear DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:08:59 +1000
Greetings,

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to get amanda to use
multiple simultaneous configurations with the same filesystems,
such that incrementals are taken based on previous dumps within
the same configuration.

For example, let's say we have a

MonthlySet
WeeklySet
DailySet

configuration. Incremental dumps on a MonthlySet tape should
be based on previous MonthlySet tapes, not any WeeklySet or
DailySet that may have transpired in between. (Think "permanent
archives" here.) Similarly, a WeeklySet incremental should be
based on the previous WeeklySet tapes, and DailySet incrementals
on previous DailySet tapes only.

It appears there's no way to convince amanda to actually do this,
because both amandates and GNUTAR_LISTED_INCREMENTAL_DIR are
hardcoded at compile time. We'd need to be able to specify one
or other of these per configuration to achive our objective,
correct?

Has anyone attempted anything like this before? It doesn't seem
that unusual, does it?

Finally, is there any reason *why* GNUTAR_LISTED_INCREMENTAL_DIR
isn't configurable in amanda.conf?

Any suggestions/advice/heckling appreciated...
--
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh AT snapgear DOT com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630