Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up filesystems too big for one tape

2003-09-05 00:57:30
Subject: Re: Backing up filesystems too big for one tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:53:23 -0400
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 03:03:55AM -0000, rwk AT americom DOT com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does amanda have any support for backing up a filesystem which is *much*
> bigger than the tape?
>
> I have a 500GB fileststem and my tapes are 33GB (Ecrix V17).  What does
> one do in a case like this...?
>
> Thanks,
> Dick
>
> P.S. In case you are wondering (and haven't guessed), the filesystem
> spans multiple drives using Linux LVM.

Gee, 15 tapes minimum for one file system.
Are you sure the tape recording speed is sufficiently fast
to allow writing that much data between scheduled amdump's?
ISTR that most tape formats take about 3 hrs to write a full tape.
At that rate it would take 45 hrs for that one FS.

The basic way is to use gnutar as the backup program and NOT back up
the entire FS, but create a series of disklist entries which back up
a sub-tree of the total system.  For example if your big FS mounts as
/big_mama, and has subdirs of /big_mama/proj1, /big_mama/proj2, ...
you could specifiy a separate DLE for each "projx" directory tree.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)