Amanda-Users

RE: service looping/terminating

2003-09-04 14:56:41
Subject: RE: service looping/terminating
From: "Ripley, Scott" <Scott.Ripley AT mail.house DOT gov>
To: "'Amanda Admin'" <amanda AT denverdata DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:54:01 -0400

> If I remember the list archives corrrectly, I think the standard test is -
> -
> for the FQDN that you've given amanda in your disklist, do you always get
> the same results from gethostbyname() on both the client and the server.
>
> I think at one point someone posted a small C program to the list to do
> the
> gethostbyname() test, but you'll have to search for that. A litte Perl
> script would be just as good.

Yes, John Oliver did post a little something, but it's long since scrolled
out of the archive. But I am the DNS administrator, so I can say with 100
percent surety that the server's record is good in both directions. It's
also entered in /etc/hosts correctly. And just for fun, I changed disklist
to use IPs for this server, instead of the FQDN, and it still failed. I can
see the ARP to the client (server and client are on the same net) and the
client's (correct) response. So there seems to be initial connectivity at
layer 2.

Is there a way to run amcheck in gdb? When I tried it, I got this message:
(gdb) run amcheck ds1 host1
Starting program: /usr/local/sbin/amcheck amcheck ds1 host1
procfs: target_wait (wait_for_stop) line 3677, /proc/12200: Resource
temporarily unavailable.
(gdb) n
procfs: couldn't find pid 12200 (kernel thread 1) in procinfo list.

Scott Ripley
DNS/VPN Administrator, HIR-Communications
U.S. House of Representatives
202.226.2833
mailto:scott.ripley AT mail.house DOT gov