Amanda-Users

RE: service looping/terminating

2003-09-04 13:46:31
Subject: RE: service looping/terminating
From: "Ripley, Scott" <Scott.Ripley AT mail.house DOT gov>
To: "'Amanda Admin'" <amanda AT denverdata DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:42:10 -0400
Brillant! Now I see why you're the Amanda admin. The machine *is*
multi-homed (while none of my working clients are). However, it's not as
clear-cut as that.

It has one physical interface and one virtual interface. All the Amanda
traffic should be coming and going over the physical interface.

# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet 192.168.0.120 netmask ffffff80 broadcast 192.168.0.127
        ether 0:0:0:0:0:0
hme0:1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet 192.168.10.50 netmask ffffffc0 broadcast 192.168.10.63
# cat /etc/hosts
#
# Internet host table
#
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.0.1             host1
192.168.10.1    host2

As you can see, there are two networks co-existing on the same wire. Host2
is a website address; Amanda is supposed to be working via host1. Forward
and reverse DNS resolve to host1 and 0.1, respectively.

FWIW, I think you're on the right track.

Scott Ripley
DNS/VPN Administrator, HIR-Communications
U.S. House of Representatives
202.226.2833
mailto:scott.ripley AT mail.house DOT gov