Amanda-Users

Service looping/terminating...

2003-09-04 10:53:23
Subject: Service looping/terminating...
From: "Ripley, Scott" <Scott.Ripley AT mail.house DOT gov>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:50:52 -0400
I have ten Solaris8 clients running Amanda just fine, however one of them
has been holding out on me for months and I can't figure it out.

It compiles fine, it installs fine, and it even seems to run fine (If I do
/usr/local/libexec/amandad, it runs for a minute, then stops, like all the
others do).

However, if I run amcheck <config> <clientname> I get these messages on the
client:
Sep  4 08:24:27 local@host inetd[137]: [ID 858011 daemon.warning]
/usr/local/libexec/amandad: Killed
Sep  4 08:24:27 local@host inetd[137]: [ID 667328 daemon.error] amanda/udp
server failing (looping), service terminated

My /etc/services looks like this:
amanda          10080/udp                       # Amanda 2.2.6
amandaidx       10082/tcp                       # Amanda 2.2.6

Inetd.conf looks like this:
amanda  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/libexec/amandad
amandad

I've checked everything I can think of to see what differences there are
between this client and my working clients, and I can't find anything of
note. Ldd reveals that the non-working amandad links to the readline
libraries (they are installed), but that's the only difference.

I've reinstalled many times, with many options on and off, I've rebooted,
HUP'd and kill -9'd every possible suspect. Since the service is being
denied at the door, there are no amanda debug files, and all the server says
is that the request timed out. Snooping the traffic shows that the client is
sending back a message that the destination is unreachable.

I have tried to use gdb to see if I can tease out some sort of error, but
unfortunately, I know of no good way to do that with amandad.

Does anyone out there have any other tips? I'd very much appreciate it.

Scott Ripley
DNS/VPN Administrator, HIR-Communications
U.S. House of Representatives
202.226.2833
mailto:scott.ripley AT mail.house DOT gov