Amanda-Users

RE: Not again !!!

2003-08-06 15:31:56
Subject: RE: Not again !!!
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>, "barryc" <barryc AT rjlsystems DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:23:30 -0500
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 14:36, barryc wrote:
> From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
> >
> >>Remember Kevin, its only the winderz people it bothers.
> >
> >Not true.
> >Windows users are the only ones with anything to fear from these
> >messages. It bothers (read: annoys) most of us.
> >
> >NOTE: For the purpose of this correspondance, "most" is defined as
> >'Some number of amanda-users subscribers, greater than or equal to
> >two.'
>
> The definition of bother is relative I guess.
>
> Well, with the delete button only centimeters away, its not a bother
> to me.  Now IF I was running winderz (I do not have a copy on the
> property) and got myself a viri, then that would 'bother' me.

It amazes me how often these two running arguments are repeatedly
debated...using localhost and spam to the amanda list. For the love of
pete...how many sys admins does it take to beat the dead horse? (I
suppose I am now guilty as well by even responding to the tirades)

Maybe there needs to be something addressed to the newbie's when they
register with amanda.org as a part of the welcome email that says "You
are responsible for your own network...the list is open to everyone and
everything, please don't complain about spam, viruses, etc." I find
those who are bothered to be unprepared. Get a spam server...deal with
it, move on. Or maybe those complaining would like to contribute and
maintain a spam/virus server for the list. This is the 4th or 5th time
this year this subject has gone on for far too long. Amanda is free, the
knowledge everyone gains and contributes her is free, if the price is to
be 'bothered' with extra emails, then pay for some other backup utility
and you won't be bothered again.