Amanda-Users

Re: "no slots available" error with amanda and chg-zd-mtx

2003-08-01 22:47:55
Subject: Re: "no slots available" error with amanda and chg-zd-mtx
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Woodman, Joel" <woodman AT chuma1.cas.usf DOT edu>, "'Jay Lessert'" <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:40:49 -0400
On Friday 01 August 2003 18:56, Woodman, Joel wrote:
>Jay,
>
>Thanks for the reply. It's unusual behavior for a query that's
> checking the slots for tapes and tape labels, but I've gotten the
> impression Amanda is fairly paranoid about explicit instructions.
> "Show me the contents of all of the tape pod's slots" is not the
> same as "show me the contents of all the tape pod's slots and then
> return tapes to their original locations," and there's probably a
> good reason for that which I'm missing.
>
>Anyhow, thanks to the list at large for the hand. Next stop is
> reconciling large full backups (~100GB) with small incremental
> backups (~10GB) without wasting tape.

Thats extremely simple, just let amanda do her thing.  One of amanda's
targets is to use the same amount of tape for every run.  That means
that she will do a level 0 on an individual DLE within the time
period set by the dumpcycle variable.  That doesn't mean she will do
a given partition on friday evenings.  To facilitate this, she will
move levels up, or put them off a maximum of one day, in an attempt
to use the same amount of tape for each run.  Your job is to give her
a configuration with enough wiggling room that this can be achieved.
For instance, here I'm backing up about 50Gb of data, on a 7 day
schedule, to DDS2 tapes with a raw capacity of a bit under 4Gb.  By
the time amanda has compressed things, and adjusted the schedule so
about 3.7Gb of tape is used every night, its working fairly well.

You will see these schedule adjustments ijn the emails she send you.

>-Joel

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: