Amanda-Users

Re: "no slots available" error with amanda and chg-zd-mtx

2003-08-01 16:35:53
Subject: Re: "no slots available" error with amanda and chg-zd-mtx
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: "Woodman, Joel" <woodman AT chuma1.cas.usf DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:31:42 -0700
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:07:50PM -0400, Woodman, Joel wrote:
> # /usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx -info
> 2 2 1
>
> As I understand the documentation, this means that my current slot is "2," I
> have "2" slots and the changer can travel backwards, as noted by "1."

Yup.

> Is it
> normal for mtx to define "slots" as slots with tapes in them, versus slots
> in total?

Normal for chg-zd-mtx, that is, yes.  It does an 'mtx status' and
keeps a list of occupied slots within the firstslot->lastslot
range.  No sense mucking about with empty slots.

> Also, if I run "/usr/sbin/amtape cas-unix show" amanda will show the tapes
> in the pod, but won't unload the last tape it examined without a manual
> "amtape eject." Is this normal,

Yes.  In general, all(?) amanda tape operations leave the tape in the
drive and un-rewound unless you explicitly command otherwise.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461