Amanda-Users

Re: cygwin + amanda install

2003-07-31 14:04:30
Subject: Re: cygwin + amanda install
From: Matthew Moffitt <moffitt.10 AT sociology.osu DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:01:24 -0400
At 07:21 AM 7/30/2003, Matthew Moffitt wrote:
>At 06:28 AM 7/30/2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>>
>>One problem I never resolved was doing client side compression.
>>My fuzzy memory says it involved indexing, particularly a broken
>>pipe in the part of the connection involving indexing.  Maybe
>>your situation is similar but you are not noticing the broken
>>pipe message or it is manifesting itself some other way.  I gave
>>up and solved it by doing server side compression.

Incidentally, I disabled indexes for the cygwin backups and now it works.  Go
figure.

I realized indexing wouldn't work based on previous posts but didn't think
having the option enabled would actually cause the backup to fail.  I just
figured my indexes would be emtpy.

Now, if only I could find a way to speed this up... it seems related to the
number of files tar has to work through.  A 2 GB file gets backed up nightly,
but a few thousand empty folders slows this down dramatically.

-Matt