Amanda-Users

Re: cygwin + amanda install

2003-07-30 06:30:55
Subject: Re: cygwin + amanda install
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:28:49 -0400
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:40:50AM +0200, Stefano Coletta wrote:
> I've successfully installed cygwin with Amanda for backing up Windows
> machines... but I've a big problem.
>
> After the first installation that actually works perfectly, other
> subsequent installations on other PCs are not generating indexes. I had
> no time in the past days to investigate the problem thus I've made by
> best to replicate subsequent installations like the first one.
>
> If you dig in the mailing list archives you can find details of this
> problem (reported by me) that has not been answered by anyone.
>
> Essentially on the server side it writes an index file of zero bytes: in
> the logs present in the client and server there is no evidence of a
> "problem" while generating indexes or other types of problems.
>
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:04:02AM -0400, Matthew Moffitt wrote:
> >

> >>Is anybody successfully backing up Windows 2000 PCs with this
> >>combination?
> >>

> >I'm not now, but I certainly was for about a year.  I had to reinstall
> >W2K from scratch and I haven't put cygwin back yet.

One problem I never resolved was doing client side compression.
My fuzzy memory says it involved indexing, particularly a broken
pipe in the part of the connection involving indexing.  Maybe
your situation is similar but you are not noticing the broken
pipe message or it is manifesting itself some other way.  I gave
up and solved it by doing server side compression.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)