Amanda-Users

Re: chg-manual bug?

2003-07-28 07:28:53
Subject: Re: chg-manual bug?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke AT gmx DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:25:08 -0400
On Monday 28 July 2003 04:50, Matthias Bethke wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I just set up my first amanda config for my private network, to try
> it out before I put it on a larger installation at university. I
> have a P3-450 fileserver with a single big SCSI disk and a DSS-2
> drive[0]. That means I have to use the "manual changer" method --
> but amcheck failed to run chg-manual, complaining about a "command
> not found" in line 33. Now I'm not a shell programming expert, but
>
>| EGREP=grep -E
>
>certainly looked wrong to me. Quoting did it:
>| EGREP='grep -E'

I don't use this but that is how it is in my copy of
amanda-2.4.4p1-20030716, at line 33, with the quotes.

>Mine is a Linux system where /bin/sh is a link to bash, but I don't
>think the Bourne shell would like the above either, would it?

Same as here.

>Other than that, amanda seems to be running fine, I'm just doing my
>first full dump (tar, that is) in the background. Can't wait to try
> it on the 6x40GB jukebox @work :-)
>
>regards
>       Matthias
>

>[0] Here's the tapetype as determined by amtapetype, with a 120m
> tape: define tapetype DEC-TLZ07 {
>    comment "DEC DSS2 drive"
>    length 3848 mbytes
>    filemark 0 kbytes
>    speed 392 kps
>}
>BTW, this is almost identical to the TLZ06, excpet that the 06 is
> DDS-1 and should thus have half the capacity. Just in case anyone
> still uses these...

This looks as if the drives compression is on.  If it is, then the
data from /dev/urandom gets somewhat expanded by it, and will report
a bit less than the tapes raw capacity.  Since the gzip that amanda
uses can beat the hardware in every dept but speed, we generally
recommend that the drives hardware compressor be disabled.

This then leads to the requirement that each tape which has been
previously written in the compressed mode, be re-written forceably
without compression in order to cancel the "I'm compressed" flag in
the tape header.  Amanda's normal sequence of operations will not
allow the presetting of this by an external script because amanda
forces a re-read of the header in identifying the tape, and doesn't
let go of the drive until its done.

I have a script that can do this, or you can cobble up one of your own
with a bit of experimentation. The basic sequence is (assuming all
devices are non-rewinding):

load the tape
rewind
read the label out to a scratch file with dd
rewind
reset the compression status with mt commands, both ways for DDS
write that scratch file back to the tape with dd
write an additional amount from /dev/zero that will overflow the
drives buffer and force its flush to the media, 5 megs should be
enough.
rewind
read the label to make sure its ok
repeat for the rest of the tapes in the magazine that need it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: