Amanda-Users

New tape not found in rack, but they are there

2003-07-28 10:01:28
Subject: New tape not found in rack, but they are there
From: Adam Ardis <aardis1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, i've looked
around and can't answer the question myself.  I've got
two DLT7000 drives directly attached to my Solaris
server for backups, and they will run normally.  On
occassion, I'll get a report back like:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [label DS036 or new tape
not found in rack]. Some dumps may have been left in
the holding disk. Run amflush again to flush them to
tape. The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to used are:
DS036, DS035.

Now, there are two tapes in the drives:

twdev001:/home/amanda$ amtape staging show
amtape: scanning all 2 slots in tape-changer rack:
slot 2: date 20030722 label DS026
slot 1: date 20030722 label DS010

My questions are why does the backup want to use other
tapes, and why won't it just use what's in the drives?
 Can I get Amanda to just use whatever is in teh
drives and not care about a retention?  We rotate the
tapes out daily, since we need to do it by hand
anyway.  They go offsite for a month and then back
into rotation, so we don't really follow any rules as
to which tape to put in when.  The first two tapes in
tapelist are what's in the drives, DS026 and DS010,
but we may not necessarily have the last two, which
I'm guessing are what Amanda expects, DS035 and DS036.

twdev001:/home/amanda/staging$ more tapelist
20030722 DS010 reuse
20030722 DS026 reuse
20030721 DS029 reuse
20030718 DS025 reuse
20030718 DS008 reuse
...Continues down
20030616 DS009 reuse
20030610 DS027 reuse
20030610 DS035 reuse
20030526 DS036 reuse

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Adam