Amanda-Users

Re: amdump hangs forever when dump should be starting

2003-07-28 07:03:54
Subject: Re: amdump hangs forever when dump should be starting
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:59:42 -0400
On Monday 28 July 2003 04:06, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Scott Mcdermott wrote:
>> When I run the dump though, it calculates what it needs to
>> do, gets to the "driver: hdisk-state time xxx" line, and
>
>Do you mean that the line is truncated after the time?
>It should look like:
>
>driver: hdisk-state time 996.043 hdisk 0: free 22386164 dumpers 16
>
>i.e. it should continue with a state of each holdingdisk.
>Is there a newline or not? (a newline, means: no holdingdisks)
>(Yes, it seems you don't use a holdingdisk, then this is normal.)
>
>Just after it, there should be messages about the portusage
>of each client which connects to dumper.
>
>>      $ ps -eo user,comm,pid,wchan | grep ^amanda
>>      amanda   amdump            9302 wait4
>>      amanda   driver            9315 do_select
>>      amanda   taper             9316 unix_stream_data_wait
>>      amanda   dumper            9317 unix_stream_data_wait
>>      amanda   dumper            9318 unix_stream_data_wait
>>      amanda   dumper            9319 unix_stream_data_wait
>>      amanda   taper             9320 pipe_wait
>
>I would expect at least a "amandad" or one of its children
>be there to (if indeed the client is the same as the server).
>Is there a local firewall installed/activated?
>
>> amanda is just stuck, doesn't timeout, doesn't do anything,
>> just sits there.
>
>Or times out after a very long time?
>
>>      $ cat normal/amanda.conf | grep -v ^\#

>>     runspercycle            0
>
>Strange, but probably no error.  Change into some
>real value to be very sure this is not the cause.
>
>>     define dumptype tardump {
>>             comment         "uses GNU tar"
>>             compress        none
>>             holdingdisk     no
>>             ignore          no
>>             index           yes
>>             program         "GNUTAR"
>>             record          no
>>             starttime       0001
>>     }
>
>I never tried the "starttime" option.  Could this be the problem?

The last time I used it, it worked.  If cron is not starting it until
some time after midnight, then it will wait till either 1 minute
after midnight or 1 am to continue.  The ambiguity would be because
I'm not sure what it will do when the colon is missing.

>>     driver: hdisk-state time 100.388
>
>Just after it, there should be messages about the tcp connections
>(the estimate were done in udp datagrams).  Maybe some problem here?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: