Amanda-Users

Re: How could amflush NOT flush ? :o) [OFF TOPIC]

2003-07-23 11:56:49
Subject: Re: How could amflush NOT flush ? :o) [OFF TOPIC]
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot AT accim DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:55:00 +0200
Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:

But I really can't admit there is no way to tell to amflush not to
remove the holding disk files !

Should I ask the dev mailing list if the patch exist ?

No, there is no patch.  (But I still think there is some
way in the hard-link-files-method. The changes to the config
are not big at all.)

But, rephrasing the problem:  you want to be able to restore
files from disk, because it's much faster than tape.  But you want
the data on tape too, because they are safer there.

Two solutions:

1. Use LVM (if you are using Linux) and create a snapshot of the
filesystem, and keep it around for the next day.  (This had the
added benefits that making backup with gnutar won't change the
access times of the files, and no more warnings like "file changed
while reading...".)  I have a working setup with this. Works very nice.
Snapshots also work on Solaris 8+ and on BSD.

2. Use RAIT, with one output to tape, the other to disk, and
throwing the parity away:
  tapedev  "rait:tape:/dev/nst0,file:/bigdisk/onlinebup,null:"
or something like that.
I never tested such a setup, but others have.  Google around a bit.