Amanda-Users

Re: How could amflush NOT flush ? :o) [OFF TOPIC]

2003-07-23 10:47:29
Subject: Re: How could amflush NOT flush ? :o) [OFF TOPIC]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:45:15 -0400
On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:36:31PM +0200, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Selon Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>:
>
> > Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> >
> > > I first thought about a script that would launch amdump without the
> > > option autoflush, then copy the last created directory, then launch
> > > amflush. But that copy is way too large for my not-so-small 120Go
> > > holding disk.
> >
> > Instead of a copy, make hard links to the original files.
>
> I'm confuse to see that I never took the time to read the hard link related
> part of the 'man ln'. So, though I often use symlinks, I've never used hard
> links.
> So I read the doc, and made some tests : This a just great and simple.
> According to what I understand, any file in a unix filesystem is accessed

# obviously excellent understanding of what you read deleted

> The doc (under FreeBSD 5.1) also says that the hard links can't be used for
> directories, but only for files. I tested it, and indeed, I'm stuck.

That is generally correct.  At least on Solaris, the SA has access to
a second linking command (/usr/sbin/link) which does allow creation of
hard links to directories.  This is safe to do IF the two links are
in the same directory (same parent dir).  For example, you might want
both a "tmp" and a "temp" directory name, but want them to be the same dir.
Or unix uses "tmp" and some windows application insists on upper case TMP.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)