Amanda-Users

SV: Any hints on a drive I have?

2003-07-18 13:27:52
Subject: SV: Any hints on a drive I have?
From: "Anders Norrbring" <anders AT norrbring DOT biz>
To: "'Eric Sproul'" <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>, "'Amanda Users'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:24:06 +0200
> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 16:27, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to set up an old drive here, and I might as well ask you
> people
> > if there's someone out there who's tried (and better yet - MANAGED) to
> set
> > up this type of drive.
> >
> > To business, it's a HP Colorado 20GBe drive, that is Travan TR-5,
> connected
> > to the parallel port.  I think the setup would be something like loading
> > modules; parport, paride, epat and pt and then the drive will show up on
> > /dev/pt0 but I'm not really sure about that.  Neither do I know
> > diddely-squat about putting it to work in Amanda, I can't find any clear
> > documentation or how-to on it.
>
> Anders,
> You didn't mention the OS you're running, but it sounds like maybe
> Linux?  If so, once you can manipulate the drive with standard *nix
> tools such as mt and dd, AMANDA will be able to use it.
>
> The next config piece is a tapetype definition that tells AMANDA how
> much tape she should expect to have available.  Check the FAQ-O-Matic to
> see if someone else has posted a tapetype for your drive/media.
>
> This is the section on QIC/TRAVAN tapes.
> http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/94.html
>
> Also check the docs that come with the AMANDA distribution.  In
> particular, the TAPETYPES file provides some hints, as do portions of
> the FAQ, such as hardware-vs.-software compression.  On that last point
> there are also many, many archived disucssions from this list.
>
> Good luck, and continue to ask questions here if there are things you
> don't understand.

Thanks Eric,

Yep, it's Linux. SuSE 8.2 Pro, to be exact.

I've already solved many of the the problems.  It's the driver modules that
are crippled...  The drive has the Shuttle EPAT Plus chip inside that takes
care of the parallel <> atapi translations, and in the computer I need to
load paride and epat modules to make that work.  Then there's the driver,
pt.o that is the 'atapi tape on parallel' driver module.  And it sucks!  I
supports only 2 commands, 'rewind' and 'write file marker'.

So a way to go (I think - or imagine) would be SCSI emulation, much in the
way you do with a CD-writer in *nix.  But I have absolutely no idea how I
can do that, or even IF it's possible.  So, sure the 'mt' command works, but
only 2 commands.. I can't even retension a tape.

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting