Amanda-Users

Re: Any hints on a drive I have?

2003-07-18 13:09:50
Subject: Re: Any hints on a drive I have?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Anders Norrbring <anders AT norrbring DOT biz>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 13:07:33 -0400
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 16:27, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to set up an old drive here, and I might as well ask you people
> if there's someone out there who's tried (and better yet - MANAGED) to set
> up this type of drive.
>
> To business, it's a HP Colorado 20GBe drive, that is Travan TR-5, connected
> to the parallel port.  I think the setup would be something like loading
> modules; parport, paride, epat and pt and then the drive will show up on
> /dev/pt0 but I'm not really sure about that.  Neither do I know
> diddely-squat about putting it to work in Amanda, I can't find any clear
> documentation or how-to on it.

Anders,
You didn't mention the OS you're running, but it sounds like maybe
Linux?  If so, once you can manipulate the drive with standard *nix
tools such as mt and dd, AMANDA will be able to use it.

The next config piece is a tapetype definition that tells AMANDA how
much tape she should expect to have available.  Check the FAQ-O-Matic to
see if someone else has posted a tapetype for your drive/media.

This is the section on QIC/TRAVAN tapes.
http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/94.html

Also check the docs that come with the AMANDA distribution.  In
particular, the TAPETYPES file provides some hints, as do portions of
the FAQ, such as hardware-vs.-software compression.  On that last point
there are also many, many archived disucssions from this list.

Good luck, and continue to ask questions here if there are things you
don't understand.

Eric