Amanda-Users

Re: chg-multi says no tape online

2003-07-15 12:29:04
Subject: Re: chg-multi says no tape online
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:25:55 -0400 (EDT)
(cc'ing list)

Paul Bijnens said:
> Kurt Yoder wrote:
>
>> Hello list
>> I recently switched amanda servers, and copied a manual chg-multi
>
> What is a "manual chg-multi"?  I use a "chg-multi" in my config,
and I have used a "chg-manual" in the past.  Can you use chg-multi
for manual purposes too?

Yes. Unfortunately I can't find the documentation that said how to
do this any more. However, one does it by setting run-tapes to some
number and tpchanger to chg-multi. Then in the changerfile one
specifies a single slot pointing to the tape drive device, firstslot
1 and lastslot 1.

So amanda writes everything it can to tape 1. Then if it has more it
tries to write to tape 2..n but is forced to leave it on the holding
disk instead. Then you can manually put in the next tape and flush.

It worked well on this machine, but I reinstalled the machine with a
different hard disk and new configuration (see separate thread on
this list about gzip errors for the reason). Now it's not working
any more.

> How does your chg-multi.conf look like?

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0
statefile /var/backups/changer-status
firstslot 1
lastslot 1
slot 1 /dev/nst0

Looks identical to the previous working config.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator