Amanda-Users

Re: sdlt versus DLT library

2003-07-15 12:13:57
Subject: Re: sdlt versus DLT library
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:07:26 +0100
On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17:01, Jeremy L. Mordkoff wrote:

> I'm using a DLT IV tape drive now (one tape a night), but it's not big
> enough. I have 70GB partitions and when they get full, I'll have
> problems. If I switch to a DLT tape library (8x40GB), will that solve my
> problem? Will Amanda split backup across two tapes? Or should I just get
> a SDLT tape drive (160GB)?

This is a VVFAQ. Amanda will NOT split one backup across two tapes. But you
can - you simply use multiple DLEs (disk list entries) for your bigger
partitions, ensuring that each one is small enough to fit on a tape. Then you
can decide what to do based on your backup needs, how long you want between
level 0 backups etc. But if for some reason multiple DLEs doesn't suit you,
an SDLT tape will help whereas a DLT library will not.

Niall