Amanda-Users

Re: sdlt versus DLT library

2003-07-15 14:34:44
Subject: Re: sdlt versus DLT library
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: Kurt Yoder <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:28:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Kurt Yoder wrote:

> AFAIK it will hit end of tape and ask for another tape. However,
> there is no way to flush a single dump image to multiple tapes. So
> if you have a 20 GB dump image (even if it's been split up into
> pieces due to the chunksize parameter) and a 10 GB tape, there is no
> way to put the dump image on that tape.

Does this strike anyone besides me as dumb?  Yes I've known these
details separately for years, but when they are put together in
the same paragraph it jumps out and says "Hey, the dump has already
been split into managable-sized pieces.  All we need is to modify
taper to put them on multiple tapes and voila, we can span tapes!"

Of course then we'd need to do some fiddling with amrestore to be
able to retrieve all the chunks during a restore...

-Mitch