Amanda-Users

Re: Weekly amflush

2003-07-10 04:58:21
Subject: Re: Weekly amflush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Steven J. Backus" <backus AT math.utah DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:47:55 +0200
Steven J. Backus wrote:
Yes but when your tapes cost $100 each and you only have 14, is
there a better way to do it?

Probably not.  If the value of the data is not that much, than
maybe it's not a problem let amanda backup to holdingdisk one
more day either, and do the flush on monday or so?

The autoflush command sounds great, do I still need the fake
tapedev?

The autoflush directive instructs amanda to automatically do a flush
if needed, while doing a normal amdump.
The fake tapedev is still needed, or the other runs of amdump during
the week would use the tapedev. So your friday cronjob becomes:

  ln -s /dev/rmt/0n /dev/fridaytape; amdump Conf; rm /dev/fridaytape

while the rest of the cronjobs do a simple:

  amdump Conf

And your amanda.conf has entries like:

        autoflush on
        tapedev "/dev/fridaytape"