Amanda-Users

Re: RPM Install Question

2003-07-08 22:41:14
Subject: Re: RPM Install Question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:39:23 -0400
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 22:18, Josh Welch wrote:
>Gene Heskett said:
>> Why not?  Its an excelent strategy to do so.  First, if you have
>> intentions of installing it as root, that won't work.  End of
>> discussion.
>>
>> So whats so hard about adding a user "amanda" to all systems, and
>> making amanda a member of group "disk"?  Heck I build it from
>> tarballs as soon as Jean-Louis releases the next snapshot, and
>> because it just plain works, I've had no urge or reason to change
>> those although I do specify them in my configure script.
>>
>> That download, configure, build and install takes about 6 minutes
>> here.  I'm not too sure installing the rpm would be that much
>> faster.
>
>Note that the RPMs from RedHat, at least for 6.2 and 7.3, use the
>operator user and disk group.
>
>Josh

Well, in this case its the perms of 'disk' that count.  So thats
basicly a ho-hum.  OTOH, haveing a seperate user named amanda, with
its own password, does seem to me to be another layer of brick in the
security dept.  And if you're into humor, you could have a user named
Elmer_Fudpucker, and use his brothers name as a password.  Yeah I
know, that joke has a long grey beard and has been collecting social
security for decades.  As long as he was a member of group disk (and
amanda is compiled with that name as user) it would work just fine,
but with minimal security because everybody knows who Elmers brother
is. <VBG>

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: