Amanda-Users

Re: Another user trying amanda and xinetd - argh

2003-07-08 22:47:43
Subject: Re: Another user trying amanda and xinetd - argh
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Josh Welch" <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:46:36 -0400
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 22:21, Josh Welch wrote:
>Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm...  Josh, an even better question might be, howinhell did it
>> get commented out?  I'd be wearing my sherlock cap on that one.
>> Walking very softly, and listening very carefully.
>
>Well, I am not the only one with root access to this particular
> machine currently. It is an unpleasant situation which I am working
> on rectifying, Developer's should *not* be given root access on
> production machines. End of story.

Maybe. Sometimes its unavoidable.  I once gave one of the amanda
developers root on my office machine.  That resulted in a much better
version of chg-scsi for everyone.  But, when he was done, root got
itself a brand new password.

Would I do it again for that person?  In a heartbeat.  But I'd have to
shut the firewall down even then unless I could write a quick and
dirty rule for iptables that would pass him.  That machine had a
fixed IP address too, this one does not, further compounding the
problems for him I'm afraid.

>Josh

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M