Amanda-Users

Re: RPM Install Question

2003-07-08 20:55:37
Subject: Re: RPM Install Question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Broderick Wood <bmw AT cs.ualberta DOT ca>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:50:17 -0400
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 16:58, Broderick Wood wrote:
>I am wanting (for ease of mass installation) to use the RedHat RPMs
> to install the Amanda Client, but we use an alternate user/group.
> Is there any "easy" way to do this changeover?  We can easily fix
> the files in /etc/xinetd.d but the RPM install the files as user
> "amanda" and group "disk" and we don't want that.  Do we just need
> to go and change the ownership AFTER the RPM install or is there an
> option to the rpm install that would do this for us?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Why not?  Its an excelent strategy to do so.  First, if you have
intentions of installing it as root, that won't work.  End of
discussion.

So whats so hard about adding a user "amanda" to all systems, and
making amanda a member of group "disk"?  Heck I build it from
tarballs as soon as Jean-Louis releases the next snapshot, and
because it just plain works, I've had no urge or reason to change
those although I do specify them in my configure script.

That download, configure, build and install takes about 6 minutes
here.  I'm not too sure installing the rpm would be that much faster.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: