Amanda-Users

Re: Good option for dumporder

2003-07-08 16:30:25
Subject: Re: Good option for dumporder
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: <bzahn AT zeus.okccc DOT edu>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:27:26 -0400
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 14:46, Bob Zahn wrote:
>This is in response to Gene's and Joshua's additional quesitons:
>
>1. I'm only running one Samba server and that's on the amanda host
> server.
>
>2. Sorry, disklist looks like:
>amanda1 //server1/C$ pc-tar 3 ge0
>amanda1 //server1/D$ pc-tar 4 ge0
>amanda1 //server2/C$ pc-tar 5 ge0
>amanda1 //server2/D$ pc-tar 6 ge0
>amanda1 //server3/C$ pc-tar 11 ge0
>amanda1 //server3/D$ pc-tar 12 ge0
>amanda1 //server4/C$ pc-tar 44 ge0
>amanda1 //server4/D$ pc-tar 45 ge0
>amanda1 //server5/C$ pc-tar 47 ge0
>amanda1 //server5/D$ pc-tar 48 ge0
>From amanda.conf
>define dumptype pc-tar {
>    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    maxdumps 8
>    holdingdisk yes
>    compress none
>    index yes
>    priority high
>    strategy noinc
>    dumpcycle 0
>}
>Also, I have 2 holding disks, 20GB each with chunksize of 1GB.
>
>3. I thought that the general opinion of this listserv was that
> cygwin was not a good option and samba was better for backing up M$
> servers. Have I got this backwards?

I'm not the 'expert' in that arena, so I'll let those that have  first
hand knowledge testify.  But I'd suspect that success or failure is
more in the hands of cygwin than anything else.  Personal opinion of
course.  My 'samba' bad experience was with linux, not windows, on
the other end of the cableing.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: