Amanda-Users

Good option for dumporder

2003-07-08 12:34:03
Subject: Good option for dumporder
From: "Bob Zahn" <bzahn AT zeus.okccc DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:21:45 -0500
I'm trying to set up the options in amanda.conf to improve the
performance (this equates to shortest time to backup) of these five
Windows NT/2K servers:

server1 C$ 2.19GB
server1 D$ 35.6GB
server2 C$ 1.58GB
server2 D$ 12.9GB
server3 C$ 2.18GB
server3 D$ 11.6GB
server4 C$ 1.3GB
server4 D$ 20.4GB
server5 C$ 2.97GB
server5 D$ 13.7GB

If you run the backup on these servers single threaded it takes about
10 hours to backup. I've changed inparallel to 8 and maxdumps to 8
also. The dumporder is "sssSsssS". In the latest test, the backup
completed in 8 hours and 41 minutes. I'm using amanda with gnutar and
Samba to do the backup. Does anyone have any ideas on how I may improve the
performance of this backup? Thanks.
Bob...

--
Robert Zahn     UNIX Systems Administrator
Oklahoma City Community College