Amanda-Users

Re: missing backup data

2003-07-04 12:13:53
Subject: Re: missing backup data
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: James Williamson <james AT nameonthe DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:08:35 +0200
James Williamson wrote:
I've been doing some more experimenting / research and it looks like it's a blocksize issue. If I check the status of the drive it reports
 that the blocksize is 512 bytes.

That is a fixed blocksize (as opposed to variable blocksize).

'man amanda' (2.4.3) says the default block size is 32KB with the
minimum being 32KB and the maximum being 32KB so I've arrived at the

This means that amanda will do write()'s with a blocksize of 32k.
If your tapedrive were set to variable blocksize, that would be blocksize on the tape.
But you are using a fixed blocksize of 512 bytes.  Now the kernel
will "reblock" automatically the 32k amanda writes in 512 byte blocks
on tape.

I don't really understand the what the block size means / does, there
doesn't appear to be much info in the man pages / docs. I'd apprecate any help.

The nice thing about open software is that you can read the source,
or, if that's too complicated (like for me), you can at least read
the comments about in it.
Read the comments in:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.st
I had to read it several times before I understood it, but it helped
a lot.