Amanda-Users

Re: missing backup data

2003-07-04 10:28:26
Subject: Re: missing backup data
From: "James Williamson" <james AT nameonthe DOT net>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:16:21 +0100
Thanks for your help,

> James Williamson wrote:
> > We've got Amanda set up to backup to a Onstream tape driver (SC-30),
>
> Are you aware there are two "generations" of Onstream tape drives?

Yes, I've got the second generation.

> > when we run amdump it reports that it's successully backed up the
contents
> > of the disklist.
> > However, when it comes to try and restore something on the disklist
using
> > amrecover it reports this error:
> >
> > EOF, check amidxtapid.debug file on backup.
> > amrecover: short block 0 bytes
> > UNKNOWN file
> > amrecover: Can't read file header
> >
> > I've gone through the docs and a likely cause seems to be the wrong
tape's
> > in the drive and / or the tape needs rewinding. I've tried both these
> > without
> > any joy. In fact, I've got the dumpcycle set to 0 and the number of
> > tapecycle
> > set to 1. I'm under the impression that with this configuration Amanda
will
> > dump everything in my disklist daily. I've gone through the docs and
tried
> > this to see what's on the disk:
> >
> > amrestore -p /dev/nosst0 no-such-host > /dev/null
> >
> > which returns this:
> >
> > amrestore:    0: skipping start of tape: date 20030703 label nameon1
> > amrestore:    1: skipping ..backup file1...
> >
> > Yet if I run it again I get this:
> >
> > amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape file numbers will be offset
> > amrestore:    1: skipping ..backup file2...
> >
> > and so on.

I've been doing some more experimenting / research and it looks like it's a
blocksize issue. If I check the status of the drive it reports that the
blocksize
is 512 bytes. 'man amanda' (2.4.3) says the default block size is 32KB with
the minimum
being 32KB and the maximum being 32KB so I've arrived at the conclusion that
this
is something to do with the blocksize.  I've attempted to change it
with defsetblk to 32KB and re-ran the dump, yet when I attempt

amrestore -p /dev/nosst0 no-such-host > /dev/null

it still always returns just one file, surely it should return all the files
on the tape?
I've seen from doing some searching that people have had similar problems
with the default 512 byte block size which Onstream tape drivers ship with.

I've experimented with tar to ensure the tape drive will backup and restore
files
which works.

I don't really understand the what the block size means / does, there
doesn't appear
to be much info in the man pages / docs. I'd apprecate any help.

Regards,

James Williamson
Name On The Net Ltd
www.nameonthe.net