Amanda-Users

testing vs production

2003-05-23 11:51:33
Subject: testing vs production
From: "Martin, Jeremy" <jmartin AT gsi-kc DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:48:57 -0500
Hi,

I'm reading the "Unix Backup & Recovery" AMANDA chapter, plus I have another
"Linux System Administration" book that talks about AMANDA.

However it all seems to be written assuming that AMANDA is backing up to a tape
drive. What do I need to do, to make AMANDA only back up the data to the
"holding area" but not try to flush it to tape?

Basically I'm setting up an AMANDA server to test. We do have a tape changer in
our production environment, but here I need to just test AMANDA by making it
back up to hard drive only.

Would I use the --with-tape-device= the partition on a SCSI drive I want it
written to or is there a more elegant solution (or one that actually works;-)?

Thanks!
Jeremy Martin
Network Technician
http://www.gsi-kc.com