Amanda-Users

Re: testing vs production

2003-05-23 13:44:44
Subject: Re: testing vs production
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:42:01 -0400
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:48:57AM -0500, Martin, Jeremy wrote:
> What do I need to do, to make AMANDA only back up the data to the "holding
> area" but not try to flush it to tape?
> Basically I'm setting up an AMANDA server to test.

It would be a better test if you included the other half of the
dump process, i.e. the copying-to-tape part.  To do that without
a real tape drive, use a directory on disk instead, by giving a
"file:" value for "tapedev".  See the "OUTPUT DRIVERS" section of
amanda(8).

Of course that's still not a complete test -- for that you'd need
to test backups to the actual tape device, and restores from it
too.  But it's a *lot* better than just dump-to-holding-disk
tests.  Besides testing another link in the chain, it gets around
the problem that running amdump without a "tape" available can
(depending on your config) drastically change Amanda's behaviour
(i.e. throw it into degraded mode), which could make even the
partial testing it did accomplish less meaningful.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee