Amanda-Users

Leaving Amanda alone without a tape operator

2003-05-23 11:58:47
Subject: Leaving Amanda alone without a tape operator
From: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:56:36 +0200
I'm writing up a little summary of yesterday's thread, and I will post it on the web -- perhaps someone will find it useful besides me. It also led me to some unanswered questions, and I thought it best to start a new thread.

Anyway...

If amanda is left without a tape operator for a long time, in a setup with no provision for unattended backups (no tape robot), will it eventually delete data that it would have removed if the tape cycle was operating properly?

Failing that, what is the preferred method to tell amanda to reset the dumpcycle and start over again with a full dump, discarding any really old data? This scenario could for example arise if the operator returns to the site after several weeks of site-wide holidays, only to discover he had forgot to disable the backups? :)

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT e.kth DOT se>