Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80

2003-05-16 13:15:36
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:12:07 -0400
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:11:12AM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:
> Thanks in advance Jon.
> ... Jon replied....(snip)
>
> Done  --> get your library installed according to manufacturer's and Sun's
> instructions
>           on the system you plan to use as the backup server (tapehost)
>          (if on installed on a newer Solaris system, some prefer to use the
>
>          sgen driver for the changer instead of the mt driver - see
> docs.sun.com
>          btw - amanda doesn't need the newest and fastest system you have)
> UGH. -->  get your drive(s) functioning with commands like mt, dd, tar,
> ufsdump
>
> Now on list --> get a copy of mtx, and get it functioning to control your
> changer
>  on my list-> get a copy of gnutar (not Sun's tar, not the Companion CD
> gnutar),
>               but version 1.13.19 or 1.13.25
>
> done ---> visit amanda.org
> done ---> read the online chapter of Backup and Recovery pointed to there.
> done --->  get the software from the pointer on amanda.org
> a) -----> build a complete version on your tapehost, install it there and get
> it
>           backing up the tapehost alone -- one or two file systems to start
> b) -----> build and install client versions on your other systems
> c) -----> add them 1 or 2 file systems from 1 or 2 clients at a time to the
> total backup
> d) -----> test that you can do restores and recoveries
> e) -----> sit back and enjoy your new maintenance-free software system
>

> a) Thought THIS was next step

Nope, amanda doesn't does little with the drives and changers.
It uses mostly uses established programs.  So you have to confirm
they work first.

> b,c,d,e  were what I thought next steps were.
>
> You mean I really have to dump stuff to tape. Ugh.  (oh well...)

Oh come on :).
You can't do "mt status", "cat /usr/bin | dd", or "ufsdump 0 /"?
None of the above command lines are complete of course.
And you will have to make sure you can read stuff back.
Backup are seldom useful if you can't read them.

Ahh, I also forgot the need to decide on, and install an "amanda user"
and possibly separate group.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)